Networks in Trade and Finance
· The Burden of Glory: Competing for Non-monetary Incentives in Rank-order Tournaments (Dowloadable PDF file) (with David Pastoriza and Jean-Francois Plante), June 2016.
· StockMarket Synchronicity and the Global Trade Network: A Random Walk Approach (Downloadable PDF file) (with Javier Reyes and Amat Adarov), December 2009.
· "Social Embeddedness and Economic Governance: A Small World Approach," (Downloadable PDF file) Mimeo, University of Arkansas, Revised Version September 2013.
Please note that the PDF file downloadable here of a published paper is the working-paper version. You can obtain the final version from the journal.
Networks in Trade and Finance
· Structure and Evolution of Global Cluster Networks: Evidence from the Aerospace Industry (Downloadable PDF file) (with Ekaterina Turkina and Ari Van Assche), Journal of Economic Geography. 16(6), November 2016.
· Growth Networks (Downloadable PDF file) (with Javier Reyes, Josh McGee & Stuart Shirrell), Journal of Development Economics. 101, March 2013.
· “Financial Contagion on the International Trade Network,” (with Javier Reyes), Economic Inquiry, 48(4), October 2010.
· “The Architecture of Globalization: A Network Approach to International Economic Integration,” (with Javier Reyes), Journal of International Business Studies, 38(4), July 2007.
· “Trade Structure and Economic Growth,” (with Fabio Mendez and Javier Reyes), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 16(2), June 2007.
Business Groups and Networks in Economic Development
· “Friendship, not Altruism: An Economic Theory with Cross-Cultural Applications,” (with Amy Farmer), Forthcoming in Review of Social Economy.
· "Diversification and Tunneling: Evidence from Indian Business Groups," (Downloadable PDF file) (with Jayati Sarkar). Journal of Comparative Economics, 39(3), September 2011.
· "Economic Progress, Social Regress?" (with Amy Farmer), Journal of Public Economic Theory, 9(3), August 2007.
· "Connected Lending: Thailand Before the Financial Crisis," (Abstract) (with Chutatong Charumilind and Yupana Wiwatanakantang), Journal of Business, 79(1), January 2006.
· "Business Groups, the Financial Market and Modernization," (Abstract) Economics of Transition. 11(4), November 2003.
· "Contractual Governance, Business Groups and Transition," (Abstract) Economics of Transition. 10(2), June 2002.
· "Financially Interlinked Business Groups," (Abstract) (with Maitreesh Ghatak), Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Vol. 10, No. 4. Winter 2001.
· "Endogenous Business Networks," (Abstract) Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Volume 15, Issue 3. October 1999.
· “Guanxi versus the Market: Ethics and Efficiency’’ (with Steve Lovett and Lee Simmons), Journal of International Business Studies. Volume 30, No. 2, Summer 1999.
· "Business Networks in Transition Economies: Norms, Contracts and Legal Institutions," (Abstract) in Assessing the Value of Law in the Economic Transition From Socialism, edited by Peter Murrell. University of Michigan Press 2001.
· “Diversified Business Groups in Emerging Economies,” (Downloadable PDF file) (with Maitreesh Ghatak). Money and Finance, Oct.-Dec. 2000.
Industrial Organization and Finance
· “Socio-economic Mobility and Air Passenger Demand in the U.S.” (with Christian Hofer and Fabio Mendez). Forthcoming in Transportation Research Part A.
· “Collegiality in Organizations: An Economic Approach to Organizational Citizenship Behavior,” (with Amy Farmer), Economics and Sociology, 9(2), 2016.
· Have Community Banks Reduced Home Foreclosure Rates? (Downloadable PDF file) (with Kathy Fogel and Tim Yeager), Journal of Banking and Finance, 35(9), September 2011.
· “Legal Systems, Information Asymmetry and Firm Boundaries: Cross-Border Choices to Diversify Through Mergers, Joint Ventures, or Strategic Alliances,” (with Tomas Jandik). Journal of International Business Studies, 40(4), May 2009.
· "The City as a Giant Component: A Random Graph Approach to Zipf's Law," (Abstract), Applied Economics Letters. 10(11), 2003.
"Minimum Advertised Price," (Abstract) Journal of Economics and Management Strategy.
No. 4. Winter 1998.
Work in Progress
· Divergence of Fortune: The Unequal Effects of Liberalization in India (with Jayati Sarkar)
· Entrepreneurship, Reputation and Business Groups (with Nisvan Erkal).
· Political Connections, Social Network Investment and Entrepreneurship (with Nisvan Erkal).
· Chasing an Icon: The Psychology of Competitive Rivalry (with David Pastoriza and Jean-François Plante)
· Friends at Work: Team Production, Corporate Culture and Collegiality (with Amy Farmer)