JAMIE A. HESTEKIN
University of Arkansas
Jim L. Turpin Endowed Assistant Professorship in Chemical and Biochemical Separations
Ralph E. Martin Department of Chemical Engineering
3202 Bell Engineering Center
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, University of Kentucky,
Research Advisors: Dr. D. Bhattacharyya (Director), Chemical Engineering and Dr. L. G. Bachas (Co-Director), Chemistry.
B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Duluth, May 1995.
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, 08/06-present
Assistant Professor-Research interests include membrane separations related to charged molecules with special interest in fermentation.
Kraft Foods, Glenview, IL, 3/03 – 08/06
Senior Scientist – Advanced Separations Group. Co-developed separation technology for milk products used in Tassimo hot beverage system.
Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, 8/00-3/03.
Post-Doctoral Fellow. Conducted research on the immobilization of enzymes on electrodialysis membranes for membrane reactor applications. Other areas of interest include materials characterization and preparation of modified Nafion membranes, two-phase separations, and pervaporation of chemical process streams.
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 8/95-8/00
Graduate Research Assistant. Performed research towards Ph.D. dissertation including the development of a novel charged membrane contactor, which has been applied to both cation and anion removal. These sorbents have shown extremely high capacity as well as excellent kinetics. Major goals of the project also included the prediction of kinetics and metal selectivity of a functionalized membrane.
Papers, Presentations, and Patents
Refereed Journal Publications and Book Chapters
1. J. Du, R. Beitle, E. Clausen, N. Lorenz, and J. Hestekin, “The Use of Wafer Enhanced Electrodeionization for the Selective Separation of Butyric Acid in a Continuous Fermentation System”, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Submitted (2009)
2. A. S. Kurup, T. Ho, and J. A. Hestekin, “Simulation and Optimal Design of Electrodeionization (EDI) Process: Separationof Multi-Component Electrolyte Solution”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 48 (20), 9268-9277 (2009).
3. T. Ho, A. S. Kurup, T. Davis, and J. A. Hestekin, “Wafer Enhanced Electrodeionization in Dilute Salt Separation”, Sep. Sci. Tech., accepted for publication (2009).
4. H. Himstedt and J. A. Hestekin, “Membrane Separation Techniques in the Dairy Industry” invited and submitted to Membrane Technology, Edited by I. Escobar and G. Lipscomb, Destech, submitted, (2010).
5. T. Ho, T. Potts, and J. A. Hestekin, “Electrodialysis in the Food Industry” invited and submitted to Membranes in Food Applications, Edited by S. Nunnes and K. Peinimen, Wiley, submitted, (2010).
5. M. B. Arora and J. A. Hestekin, S. W. Snyder, E. J. St. Martin, M. I. Donnelly, C. Sanville-Millard, and Y. J. Lin, “The Separative Bioreactor: A Continuous Separation Process for the Simultaneous Production and Direct Capture of Organic Acids”, Sep. Sci. Tech., 42, 2519-2538 (2007).
6. J. A. Hestekin, E. G. Gilbert, M. Henry, R. Datta, E. St. Martin, and S. Snyder, “Modified Porous Nafion: Membrane Characterization of two-phase separations”, J. Memb. Sci., 281, 268-273 (2006).
7. J. A. Hestekin, Y. P. Lin, J. R. Frank, S. W. Snyder, and E. J. St. Martin, “Electrochemical Enhancement of Glucose Oxidase Kinetics: Gluconic Acid Production with Anion Exchange Membrane Reactor”, J. Appl. Electrochem., 32,1049-1052 (2002).
8. D. Bhattacharyya, J. Hestekin, D. Shah, and S. Ritchie, “An overview of Selected Membrane Techniques for Environmental Applications”, J. Chinese Institute Chem. Eng., 33, 61-66 (2002)
9. J. A. Hestekin, L. G. Bachas, and D. Bhattacharyya, "Polyamino Acid Functionalized Microfiltration Membranes: Metal Sorption Mechanisms and Results", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 40, 2669-2678 (2001).
10. J. A. Hestekin, C. N. Smothers, and D. Bhattacharyya, "Nanofiltration of Charged Organic Solutes from Aqueous and Non-Aqueous Streams: Mechanisms and Experimental Results", in Membrane Technology in the Chemical Industry, Edited by S. P. Nunes and K. V. Peinemann, Wiley-VCH, 173-190 (2001).
11. I. H. A. Badr, J. A. Hestekin, D. Bhattacharyya, and L. G. Bachas, "Electrochemical Assay of Polyamino Acids: Application to Polyamino Acid Runctionalized Microfiltration Membranes", Electroanalysis, 12, 1368-1372 (2000).
12. M. E. Williams, J. A. Hestekin, C. N. Smothers, and D. Bhattacharyya, "Separation of Organic Pollutants by Reverse Osmosis and Nanofiltration Membranes: Mathematical Models and Experimental Verification", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.,38, 3683-3695 (1999).
13. D. Bhattacharyya, J. A. Hestekin, S. M. C. Ritchie, and L. G. Bachas, "Functionalised Membranes Remove and Recover Dissolved Heavy Metals", Memb. Tech., 110, 8-11 (1999).
14. J. A. Hestekin and D. Bhattacharyya, “Metal Ion Recovery from Aqueous Waste Streams”, in Emerging Separation and Separative Reaction Technologies for Process Waste Reduction: Adsorption and Membrane Systems, Edited by P.P. Radecki, J. C. Crittenden, D. R. Shonnard, and J. L. Bulloch, CWRT-AIChE, 199-214 (1999).
15. D. Bhattacharyya, J. A. Hestekin, P. Brushaber, L. G. Bachas, and S. K. Sikdar, “Novel Poly-Glutamic Acid Functionalized Microfiltration Membranes for Sorption of Heavy Metals at High Capacity”, J. Memb. Sci., 141, 121-135 (1998).
16. J. A. Hestekin, M. Sarkari, M. A. Summers, K. S. Ziemer, and L. P. Zuba, “Conducting a Multi-University Graduate Student Symposium: Goals, Guidelines, and Experiences”, Chem. Eng. Edu., 32, 266-268 (1998).
17. J. A. Hestekin, D. Bhattacharyya, S. K. Sikdar, and B. M. Kim, “Applications of Membranes for Treatment of Hazardous Wastewaters” in Encyclopedia of Environmental Analysis and Remediation, Edited by R. A. Meyers, John Wiley, New York, 2684-2708 (1998).
1. J. A. Hestekin, S. Snyder, and B. Davison, “Direct Product Capture from Biotransformations”, ChemPlus Report, Chemical Vision 2020 (2002).
2. D. Bhattacharyya, J. Hestekin, and S. Ritchie, "Membrane Technology for Separation of Heavy Metals and other Inorganic Contaminants from Water", Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Drinking Water Quality Management and Treatment Technology, Taiwan (1999).
3. D. Bhattacharyya, J. A. Hestekin, D. Shah and A. Ghorpade, "Membrane Technology for Removal and Recovery of Organics and Solvents from Process Streams", Proc. on Pollution Prevention and Environmental Risk Reduction; AIChE Topical Conference, Miami, FL 169-182 (1998).
4. D. Bhattacharyya, J. A. Hestekin, S. Ritchie, L. G. Bachas, and S. K. Sikdar, “Membrane Techniques for Removal and Recovery of Metals from Waste Streams”, Proceedings of the 1997 Topical Conference on Separation Science and Technology, Annual AIChE Meeting, Los Angeles, CA 675-680 (1997).
Patents and Published Patent Applications
1. R. H. Lincourt, C. P. Crowley, J. A. Hestekin, and E. K. Whalen-Pedersen, “Process for the Production of Contaminant-Free Electrodialyzed Products”, US Patent Application #20070158194A1 (December 29, 2005).
2. K. W. Cale, G. W. Haas, J. A. Hestekin, H. M. Hudson, T. R. Lindstrom, Y. Ma, F. Mei, D. E. Perkins, and C. Wang, “Heat-Stable Concentrated Milk Product”, World Patent Application # 6,012,506A1 (July 22, 2005).
3. Y. J. Lin, M. Henry, J. A. Hestekin, S. W. Snyder, and E. J. St. Martin, "Single-Stage Separation and Esterification of Cation Salt Carboxylates Using Electrodeionization", US Patent #7,141,154 (November 28, 2006).
4. M. B. Arora, J. A. Hestekin, Y.J. Lin, E. J. St. Martin, and S. W. Snyder, "Immobilized Biocatalytic Enzymes in Electrodeionization (EDI)", US Patent Application #2,004,115,783 (June 17, 2004).
5. Y. J. Lin, J. A. Hestekin, M. B. Arora, and E. J. St. Martin, “Electrodeionization Method”,
US Patent # 6,797,140 (September 28, 2004).
6. D. Bhattacharyya, S. M. Ritchie, L. G. Bachas, J. A. Hestekin, and S. K. Sikdar, “Method of Preparing a Composite Polymer and Silica-Based Membrane”, US Patent #6,544,419 (April 8, 2003).
7. D. Bhattacharyya, S. M. Ritchie, L. G. Bachas, J. A. Hestekin, and S. K. Sikdar, “Preparing and Regenerating a Composite Polymer and Silica-Based Membrane”, US Patent #6,544,418 (April 8, 2003).
8. D. Bhattacharyya, S. M. Ritchie, L G. Bachas, J. A. Hestekin, and S. K. Sikdar, "Silica-Based Membrane Support for Heavy Metal Sequestration", US Patent #6,306,301 (October 23, 2001).
9. D. Bhattacharyya, J. A. Hestekin, L. G. Bachas, L. Cullen, and S. Sikdar, “Membrane-Based Sorbent for Heavy Metal Sequestration”, US Patent # 6,139,742 (October 31, 2000).
10. D. Bhattacharyya, J. A. Hestekin, L. G. Bachas, L. Cullen, and S. Sikdar, “Membrane-Based Sorbent for Heavy Metal Sequestration”, US Patent # 6,103,121 (August 15, 2000).
1. J. A. Hestekin (speaker), “Algae to Fuel: New Insights into Converting Lipids, Carbohydrates, and Proteins into Usable Products”, Presented at the University of Alabama (2010).
2. J. A. Hestekin (speaker), “Algae to Fuel: New Insights into Converting Lipids, Carbohydrates, and Proteins into Usable Products”, Presented at the Georgia Institute of Technology (2010).
3. J. A. Hestekin (speaker), “Biofuel Production from Algal Feedstocks”, Presented at the University of Toledo (2009).
4. J. A. Hestekin (speaker), “Wafer Enhanced Electrodeionization in Fermentatio”, Presented at Colorado State University (2007).
5. J. A. Hestekin (speaker), C. Crowley, and E. Whalen-Pedersen “Membrane Cleaning Needs in Food and Dairy for the 21st Century”, Presented at the University of Toledo (2006).
6. J. A. Hestekin (speaker), “What Every Chemical Engineer Needs to Know About Food Processing and Separations”, Presented at the University of Kentucky (2005).
7. J. A. Hestekin (speaker), C. Crowley, and E. Whalen-Pedersen, “Membrane Based Applications in Food and the Membranes Needed for Further Development”, Presented at 2004 Engineering Foundation Conference in Irsee, Germany.
8. J. Hestekin, “Applications and Uses of Polyaspartic Acid”, Presented at Donlar Corporation in Bedford Park, IL (2002).
9. Leonidas G. Bachas, D. Bhattacharyya, J. Hestekin (speaker) and S. Ritchie(speaker), "Novel Poly(amino acid)-Functionalized Membranes for Separation and Recovery of Heavy Metals from Aqueous Systems ", Presented at 1999 Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society at Knoxville, TN.
10. S.M.C. Ritchie (presenter), J.A. Hestekin (presenter), L.G. Bachas, and D. Bhattacharyya, “Ion Exchange with Membrane Bound, Multi-Functional, Polymeric Chelates", Poster Presented at 1999 Gordon Conference on Reactive Polymers, Ion-Exchangers, and Adsorbents at Henniker, NH.
11. J. A. Hestekin (presenter), D. Bhattacharyya, S. Ritchie, L. Bachas, and S. K. Sikdar, “Novel Polyamino Acid Functionalized Membrane Adsorbent for Heavy Metals Separation”, Poster Presented at 1998 Gordon Conference on Separations at New London, NH.
Service and Awards
Conference and Area Chairs
Student Conference Co-Chair: 2008 International Congress on Membranes.
Area Chair: AIChE, Area 2d (Membrane Separations), 2008 –2009.
Student Conference Chair: 2007 North American Membrane Society Annual Meeting.
Overall Conference Chair: 2006 North American Membrane Society Annual Meeting (NAMS 2006) held in Chicago, IL. Meeting had the highest attendance (430+) in the history of the society.
Area Vice Chair: AIChE, Area 2d (Membrane Separations), 2006 –2007.
At least 25 other chair and co-chair responsibilities over the last 15 years at American Institute of Chemical Engineers and North American Membrane Society
Other Recognition and Service Achievements
Editorial Board for Environmental Progress & Sustainability (2010-)
University of Arkansas Faculty Gold Medal Winner (2009)
Ralph E. Martin Department of Chemical Engineering Outstanding Service to Students (2009).
Arkansas Chemical Engineering Graduate Student Organization Advisor (2007-2009).
Guest Editor: Special Issue of Separation Science and Technology (2007).
R&D 100 Award (2006) for the “Separative Bioreactor for the Production and Recovery of Biobased Products”.
Junior Achievement High School Program Advisor (2004-2006).
Enrico Fermi Scholar (2002-2003).
Named Enrico Fermi Scholar for Energy Systems Division. Only one can be given out per division per year.
Reviewer for the Journal of Membrane Science, Separation Science and Technology, Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Research, and Chemical Engineering Science.
Classes Taught as an Assistant Professor
Thermodynamics I, Lab I, Design I, Membrane Separations, and Design II.